Monday, October 17, 2011

Appendix D - The Will of James Simpson Smith


Muhlenberg County, Kentucky, Will Book 3, page 35

JAMES S[impson] SMITH.            
I, James S. Smith, do make, ordain and publish this my last will and testament:

1.  ...to son John an undivided half of the tract of land on which I now live, to him and his heirs forever;

2.  The other undivided half of said tract of land whereon I live I give and bequeath unto the three natural heirs or children of my deceased son Moses F. Smith to be equally divided between them.

3.  I also give and bequeath to my son John Smith and his heirs forever two negro women to wit one named Clary and her daughter Margaret.

4.  The negro girl Margaret given above to John Smith, now has three children, said children as well as said Margaret's future increase are to be equally divided between my two sons John and Peter and the children of my deceased sons Aaron A. Smith and Moses F. Smith.

5.  I give and bequeath to the children of my deceased son Moses F. Smith $500 in money equally divided between them when they severally arrive at age or marry.

6.  I give and bequeath to the children of my deceased son Aaron A. Smith $500 to be equally divided between them as they arrive at age or marry.

7.  I give and bequeath to my son Peter Smith one negro boy named Sampson to him and his heirs forever.

8.  After all my just debts are paid all the remaining personal property of every kind I hereby give and bequeath to my two sons John and Peter and the children of my two deceased sons to be equally divided.

9.  Having heretofore given to my daughter Jemima Price, wife of Giles Price, her full share and portion of my estate I give her one additional dollar.

10.  The sums devised above to the children of Moses F. and Aaron A. Smith are to bear interest from twelve months after my death.

I hereby appoint my son John Smith the executor of this my last will, etc.

                                                                                                            (Signed) James S. Smith 
Dated  July 22, 1851.

Probated in November Court 1854 and ordered to be recorded.

No comments:

Post a Comment